CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »
HelpingAnimals.com

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Closing Thoughts


When was it exactly, that I started this meandering blog of mine? A year and half ago or was it two years now? I do recall feeling very passionate about the intent, which was to educate people about the vegetarian (vegan) food choices and the cruelty behind our current standard mode of consumption as it specifically relates to the animals we raise as our main source of protein.

At one time, I considered myself an "angry vegan", so upset was I by what I had seen and read. That anger powered, in a sense, my drive. But was I really effective in changing anything or anyone?

Since adopting the vegetarian diet, my husband and sons have at different times, tried to eat a vegetarian or vegan diet. Currently, my husband is eating 90% vegetarian, but includes fish and chicken once a week. When he is out of the house, he chooses whatever he so desires at that time. My youngest son (a busy student and avid fitness enthusiast), lost too much weight, and has thus resorted to protein powders to maintain his lean frame. He also adds portions of cheese and other animal protein. My older son, also tried for a short while to eat a animal-free diet, but found it too limiting. He mentioned that in his nursing program, the educators were not supportive at all of the vegetarian diet. He has resumed an omnivorous diet.

As for me, I still aim for the vegan choices, although I have recently purchased some organic dairy (milk, yogurt, cheese) products. I am aware that organic does not mean that the dairy cows have long lives, happily grazing in a sun-dappled meadow somewhere. The organic aspect gives me some comfort knowing the cow had a natural diet during it's short life, and hence the product is free (or almost) free of hormones and additives. (My husband continues to eat milk and for that reason, I purchase the organic.) I continue to prefer the soy and almond beverages over cow's milk but have really enjoyed the addition of organic yoghurt a few times this week.

The biggest lesson that I have learned throughout this journey is that I cannot change anyone's food choices. I can be comfortable in my choices and lead by example. Getting in someone's face is certainly not my style. Even being fairly unobtrusive, I have noticed or felt, at times, that hostess' have been slightly miffed or annoyed with my refusal to eat certain dishes that they have lovingly prepared. In other instances, some have verbally stated that it is a pain in the neck to have to worry about a vegetarian when preparing a menu.

My solution to this is to always offer to bring something and I continually tell people to not worry about me - I never starve and can always eat many of the dishes on the table.

Reading an interview with a local dietitian, I could compare some of what she experienced as a dietitian to my story as a vegetarian. Her perception was that if people knew her profession, they felt slightly uncomfortable around her when eating, as they thought she might be judging. Now she keeps quiet about her profession, and finds that people are more relaxed and can enjoy their meals. This simple stance resonated with me - I have become more restrained about speaking out about my choices.

Could I ever go back to eating meat? Not likely, although recently one of my sons brought up the issue of what would happen if in my old age (and senility closing in), I was placed in a nursing home. What choices would I have then about what I ate? My answer to this was "None" but, at least for a few short years, relatively speaking, I chose to not eat animal products as one way I tried to alleviate some of the suffering in this world.

I leave you with this final quotation from the Dhammapadha, the words of the Buddha...

"One is not noble who injures living beings. One is 'noble' because one is harmless towards all living beings."

Print this post

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog isn't clear. Is this the last post? It hints at it, but doesn't actually say.

Compassionate Consumption said...

Hi Sherry,
Yes this is my last posting. Thanks for asking - you are correct, I wasn't clear about that.
Michele

Anonymous said...

Read your blog regularly. Sorry to see it end. Not a very fair way to say goodbye ... can't tell by the blog.

Compassionate Consumption said...

Hello,
Not sure I understand "fair way to say goodbye...". (Is there a blog etiquette that suggests a way to close a blog?)
There have been occasions in the past when I thought that I would close the blog, but then in mentioning this to other people, decided otherwise. However, a week or so back, without discussion, and just my own intuition, I decided that there was nothing more for me to say on the topic.
I continue to visit other sites which relate to this issue, which keeps me inspired (as you are aware, I'm sure, there are some pretty amazing websites out there).
In any case, thank you for reading my blog regularly. I have never gotten used to this kind of feedback. When it is usually me and my thoughts, trickling down to my fingers on keyboard...well, one is somewhere between contemplation and the imagined throngs of readers!!
Kind regards,
Michele

seriously amused said...

I'm sorry to see that this is your last post, but I can understand. I have sometimes thought about closing down my blog. You have to do what's right for you.

I'm still vegan, but because of my health issues, I fear I might not be able to stay that way. I'm determined to do my best to stay vegan because I am doing this because of my love and respect for animals.

Take care,

J

Compassionate Consumption said...

Dear Judy,
Thanks for dropping by. I do love the idea of blogs and have benefited greatly from reading them. (I recently got onto Stumble Upon....my gosh, that is very addictive! Anyhow, have found so many interesting blogs on this venue.)
Good luck with your blogging enterprises and best wishes for ever increasing good health!
Michele

Shubhangi said...

ohh its your last post.
"Closing Thoughts" was great.


SEO Services